Here’s what I know to be true:
God has a plan of hope and a future, promising to be at our side, walking us through the darkest valley to the highest mountain, making a way when there seems to be no way, protecting, providing, and giving strength and ability beyond ourselves. It’s all about the relational love of God.
Back in the ancient days, the Israelites, who at the time were slaves, happened to be in the middle of their escape plan when the Egyptians, their oppressors, came after them. And, if that was not enough, The Red Sea blocked their way out. It seemed to be the end of the road. BUT (a big but) Moses said to the people:
Don’t be afraid! Stand your ground and witness how the Eternal will rescue you today. Take a good look at the Egyptians, for after today you will never see them again. (Exodus 14: 13, Voice).
Bold faith. Right?
The powerful words led the people out of their oppression to their promised place.
Read Exodus 14 when you can . . . the words in verse 30 are powerful: “That day the Eternal rescued Israel from the powerful grip of the Egyptians . . .”
Years ago, this verse kept me strong when one of my children ended up being hospitalized with an unknown and challenging illness. I ran home for a quick shower. When I walked into the house, I saw my Bible on the kitchen counter opened up to Exodus 14 . . . and it seemed to me verse 13 jumped at me:
- DON’T BE AFRAID–I was afraid. BUT. The words strengthened me.
- STAND YOUR GROUND–I had let the hard circumstance rule. BUT. I realized it was not doing any good to let the circumstance manage me; I needed to stand ground by trusting God.
- WITNESS HOW THE ETERNAL WILL RESCUE YOU TODAY–I was desperate to find an answer. BUT. I needed to see that God was present and in control.
- TAKE A GOOD LOOK AT THE EGYPTIANS–That was easy. All I could see was the oppressor–the illness.
- FOR AFTER TODAY, YOU WILL NEVER SEE THEM AGAIN–I needed to focus on LIFE not death, LIGHT not darkness, HOPE not hopelessness.
The most amazing thing occurred . . . I had a calmness and a confidence that God was in control.
We never knew the exact diagnosis of the illness. BUT. When you get down to it, I was healed. God rescued me from the powerful grip of fear.
I pray these God-words speak to you today –Kerrie
By the way—The words from Exodus 14:13 are instrumental in my part at RDC, a place God promised me in my teen years– so awesome! May these words lead you to your promised place!
For you to know– we never knew who put my Bible on the counter, which made it weirdly wonderful.
Written by Kerrie Carlisle Palmer © 2017 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED