One of the many lessons my parents taught me is the value of the table. I’ve learned and believe the table is the place where everyone is invited, valued, and has a voice. It’s the centerpiece of living our best as individuals, families, organizations, and communities.
The value of the table is a piece of my identity as well as the values I live by. Throughout the years, I’ve asked my parents if, I could invite someone to our family table. Their answer has always been, “Of course.”
The thing is . . . the table brings us together . . . BUT you and I have the choice to value one another whether or not we agree on all things. To value someone is to listen to understand rather than to fix. This is a skill which can be learned but is not always easy to implement.
Condemnation is acceptable in today’s culture and often easier than to do the necessary inner work needed to listen with understanding.
The premise of acquiring the skill of listening to understand is developed through leaning into the WISDOM and love of God. Leaning into God changes our perspective, connecting us with the power of grace–to do what we can’t do on our own–to value (love) one another regardless of our personal differences.
Understanding does not mean agreeing; however, it’s essential to valuing each and every human being.
Think on this:
Trust in the Lord completely,Proverbs 3:5-6 The Passion Translation (TPT)
and do not rely on your own opinions.
With all your heart rely on him to guide you,
and he will lead you in every decision you make.
Become intimate with him in whatever you do,
and he will lead you wherever you go.
Don’t think for a moment that you know it all.
The birth of Christ reveals how much all of humanity is valued. It’s more than anyone of us can possibly understand. As we prepare for celebrating the ADVENT OF CHRIST’S BIRTH . . . there’s something that is remarkable . . . Christ invites, values, and gives voice to everybody at the table.
Todays ADVENT THOUGHT: Lean into God as you sit at Christ’s table, listening to understand with value for each and everyone–Kerrie
If, you have access to the Salem, Oregon area Joshua and I hope you will stop by between noon and four at our open house on December 16. For details see https://tablethink.com. I will keep you updated on my public Facebook page @https://www.facebook.com/kerriecarlislepalmer/
- https://kerrielpalmer.com/2018/12/01/party/ Party.
- https://kerrielpalmer.com/2018/12/03/surprise-2/. Surprise!
- https://kerrielpalmer.com/2018/12/04/you-know-2/ Do you know? (This is long but worth thinking about.)
- https://kerrielpalmer.com/2018/12/05/alliswell/. All Is Well.
- https://kerrielpalmer.com/2018/12/06/five-words-and-more/. Five Words . . . And More.
- https://kerrielpalmer.com/2018/12/07/the-problem-is/ The Problem Is . .
- https://kerrielpalmer.com/2018/12/08/transparencyandtrust/ Transparency And Trust.
- https://kerrielpalmer.com/2018/12/09/red-letter-day/ Red-Letter-Day.
- https://kerrielpalmer.com/2018/12/10/best-advice-2/ Best Advice.
My Advent Writing Place
Written by Kerrie Carlisle Palmer © 2018 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED