It seems to me that as our culture fails humanity, more of us need to consider making a space for the sacredness of the table, where everyone is invited to take a seat to be loved, valued, and heard.
The table is an anchor in my life experiences. In fact, I preached a month-long series on the value of the table. I underlined how Jesus not only choose but had the “deep desire” to sit at the table with friends before going to the cross:
When the meal was prepared, Jesus sat at THE TABLE, joined by His emissaries.
Jesus: It has been My deep desire to eat this Passover meal with you before My suffering begins (Luke 22:14-15 Voice).
Think on this: Jesus sat at the table with friends right before his death.
This changed how I viewed the table.
This caused me to understand the power of the human experience at the table.
This gave the best reason to make the table an essential part of every. single. day.
We’ve lived in many houses of all styles and sizes, wanting each place to be a welcoming sanctuary for all those who come our way. Creating a sacred space for our table became an essential part of it.
One of my favorite tables was made to fit large groups in a purposefully designed space for it. I had to let it go when we moved into a smaller home. So. I gave the favored table to a friend, praying she would be mindful of creating a sacred space for it.
Our home is smaller than many; however, we were able to make room for two tables. We created a cozy nook for two to three adults or a small group of kids to enjoy. It’s a fun little space for inspiration and quiet.
We have one main room in our living space, so, we placed our table in the middle of it all. We’re able to enlarge it by adding table leaves and using folding tables. This means we have to shove some furniture to the edges. Even so, we’re willing to do whatever is needed to accommodate more at our table.
While many people have a table, there are less people who intentionally make it a sacred place, reserving time to gather with one another, sharing the meaning and matters of life. My prayer for you is to have the opportunity to experience the kind of table Jesus sat at–open to everyone with unstoppable love and amazing grace–a true sacred space.
Today’s Advent Thought: Make your table a sacred space.
I pray you experience the sacredness of the table–Kerrie
By the way . . .
Joshua and I are excited for tablethink’s beginning on January 1, 2019. We will begin by launching a podcast on podbean and Amazon’s Alexa and our magazine-style website will be released @ https://tablethink.com. I will keep you updated on my public Facebook page @https://www.facebook.com/kerriecarlislepalmer/
- https://kerrielpalmer.com/2018/12/01/party/ Party.
- https://kerrielpalmer.com/2018/12/03/surprise-2/. Surprise!
- https://kerrielpalmer.com/2018/12/04/you-know-2/ Do you know? (This is long but worth thinking about.)
- https://kerrielpalmer.com/2018/12/05/alliswell/. All Is Well.
- https://kerrielpalmer.com/2018/12/06/five-words-and-more/. Five Words . . . And More.
- https://kerrielpalmer.com/2018/12/07/the-problem-is/ The Problem Is . .
- https://kerrielpalmer.com/2018/12/08/transparencyandtrust/ Transparency And Trust.
- https://kerrielpalmer.com/2018/12/09/red-letter-day/ Red-Letter-Day.
- https://kerrielpalmer.com/2018/12/10/best-advice-2/ Best Advice.
- https://kerrielpalmer.com/2018/12/11/lean-in/ Lean In.
- https://kerrielpalmer.com/2018/12/12/not-yet/ Not-yet.
- https://kerrielpalmer.com/2018/12/13/god-is-here/ God Is Here.
- https://kerrielpalmer.com/2018/12/14/daily-drill/ Daily Drill.
- https://kerrielpalmer.com/2018/12/15/belonging-sacred-quietness/ Belonging . . . Sacred Quietness.
- https://kerrielpalmer.com/2018/12/16/love-wins-always/ Love Wins . . . Always
- https://kerrielpalmer.com/2018/12/17/and-so-it-begins-2/ And, So, It Begins . . .
- https://kerrielpalmer.com/2018/12/18/do-you-have-an-attitude/ Do You Have An Attitude . . . ?
- https://kerrielpalmer.com/2018/12/19/wonder-of-gods-love/ Wonder Of God’s Love.
My Advent Writing Place
Written by Kerrie Carlisle Palmer © 2018 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED