I wrote this piece in my journal years ago. It’s worth thinking on:
One word or action in a moment will change the course of life. Romans 8:28 gives incredible insight for those who live the with-God life: And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.
God is at work in the details to put the plan for humanity into place. I’m sure many of the people involved in the first Christmas had worry and stress as they tried to navigate the details of it all. The thing is. . . we are able to look backwards and see how all the details of their lives . . . were brought together in the first Christmas ( Luke 2).
- A decree was issued to the Roman world to take a census . . .
- Joseph was required to go to Bethlehem the town of David . . .
- Joseph belonged to the house and line of David . . .
- Mary, expecting a baby, went with Joseph . . .
- The time came for the baby to be born . . .
- The inn keeper could not provide a guest room, only a manager . . .
- Specific shepherds lived in nearby fields . . .
- The Shepherds were watching their flocks that night . . .
- An angel announced the Messiah was born . . .
- The angel said the baby was wrapped in cloths in a manager . . .
- A group of angels joined the angel and praised God . . .
- The Shepherds hurried off, finding Mary, Joseph, and the baby . . .
- The Shepherds told other people . . .
- The people were amazed . . .
- On the eighth day, the time came to circumcise the baby . . .
- The baby was named Jesus, the name the angel told Mary . . .
- The time came for the purification rites . . .
- Joseph and Mary took Jesus to Jerusalem to be presented to God . . .
- Simeon lived in Jerusalem . . .
- Simeon believed he would live to see the Messiah . . .
- Simeon and the family came into the courts at the same time . . .
- Simeon held Jesus, praised God, and blessed the family . . .
- Anna, an 84 year-old widow, stayed in the temple . . .
- Anna worshiped night and day, fasting and praying . . .
- Anna intersected Jesus in the same moment . . .
- Anna gave thanks to God for allowing her to be a part of the story.
The first Christmas reveals how God is at work in all of our lives, bringing all the details together . . . for more than can be imagined.
I pray you will lean into the truth of today’s Advent Thought: God is at work in all the details.
I wonder . . .
What would have been different in our past, if, we had always made our first response to look for God to be at work in the details?
There are times worry and stress is the first response. Everything changes when worry and stress is out of the picture.
Keep this truth close to you: God is at work in the details right now–Kerrie
By the way . . .
Joshua and I are excited for tablethink’s beginning on January 1, 2019. We will begin by launching a podcast on podbean and Amazon’s Alexa and our magazine-style website will be released @ https://tablethink.com. I will keep you updated on my public Facebook page @https://www.facebook.com/kerriecarlislepalmer/
- https://kerrielpalmer.com/2018/12/01/party/ Party.
- https://kerrielpalmer.com/2018/12/03/surprise-2/. Surprise!
- https://kerrielpalmer.com/2018/12/04/you-know-2/ Do you know? (This is long but worth thinking about.)
- https://kerrielpalmer.com/2018/12/05/alliswell/. All Is Well.
- https://kerrielpalmer.com/2018/12/06/five-words-and-more/. Five Words . . . And More.
- https://kerrielpalmer.com/2018/12/07/the-problem-is/ The Problem Is . .
- https://kerrielpalmer.com/2018/12/08/transparencyandtrust/ Transparency And Trust.
- https://kerrielpalmer.com/2018/12/09/red-letter-day/ Red-Letter-Day.
- https://kerrielpalmer.com/2018/12/10/best-advice-2/ Best Advice.
- https://kerrielpalmer.com/2018/12/11/lean-in/ Lean In.
- https://kerrielpalmer.com/2018/12/12/not-yet/ Not-yet.
- https://kerrielpalmer.com/2018/12/13/god-is-here/ God Is Here.
- https://kerrielpalmer.com/2018/12/14/daily-drill/ Daily Drill.
- https://kerrielpalmer.com/2018/12/15/belonging-sacred-quietness/ Belonging . . . Sacred Quietness.
- https://kerrielpalmer.com/2018/12/16/love-wins-always/ Love Wins . . . Always
- https://kerrielpalmer.com/2018/12/17/and-so-it-begins-2/ And, So, It Begins . . .
- https://kerrielpalmer.com/2018/12/18/do-you-have-an-attitude/ Do You Have An Attitude . . . ?
- https://kerrielpalmer.com/2018/12/19/wonder-of-gods-love/ Wonder Of God’s Love.
- https://kerrielpalmer.com/2018/12/20/sacred-space/ Sacred Space.
My Advent Writing Place
Written by Kerrie Carlisle Palmer © 2018 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED